My name is Alain Dellepiane and I translate videogames.
It’s a fairly new profession, so I had to figure out most things by myself. In order to share that experience with my team, I wrote a series of articles that you can now read on this blog.
Check out the "Best of" section below for a curated list of the best things I wrote.
Things I’ve done
Testing and editing all Rockstar Games titles from 2003-2005 into Italian: GTA San Andreas, Red Dead Revolver, Manhunt…
Translating over 390+ titles in all genre and platforms: Pro Evolution Soccer, Papers Please, Naruto…
IGDA Localization SIG
As chair of the IGDA LocSIG, creating and managing five editions of the Localization Jam, with 1590+ candidates and 63 workshops around the world.
I’ve written 47+ articles on this site about translation techniques, localization tools and team management. Here is a list of the very best, prepared and ready to read.
- Tiny and free apps that will save your day From measuring the length of a string to merging 75 Excel tabs into one, localization often requires very specific actions that would take a lot of time… if you didn’t have the right tool!
- How to become a videogame translator An honest answer to the question that everyone under 25 really wants to make us.
- Let’s translate a videogame step by step A series of 7 YouTube videos that show the preparation of a game translation in memoQ, from drafting the first terminology to carrying the final checks
- How do you build the right website for a videogame translator? An ongoing collection of thoughts about how to reshape my online presence. Might include useful ideas for others
- How we built a solid translation test... from a simple Nintendo DS game A quick look on how we built a solid entrance test for videogame translators, learned from it and then stopped running tests altogether
- Localization conferences at GDC2017 A quick summary of all localization-related conferences at the Games Developers Conference 2017, featuring Final Fantasy, management tools and Chinese challenges
- IGDA Localization SIG Roundtable 2017: how was it? A quick summary of how the localization roundtable at GDC 2017 went, with the main points of discussion and some behind-the-scenes perspective